Tuesday, May 23, 2006
No Credible Evidence
What wonderful words!
I didn't have an opportunity to blog yesterday, so for those waiting to hear how my MRI and followup doctor's visit went, I apologize!
Last Friday, I had my first MRI since leaving the hospital, intended to determine how things were going. In particular, the neuro-oncologists were looking for tumor activity. Any activity would have triggered a course of radiation. It was certainly a long weekend waiting to hear the results!
On Monday, we had the chance to talk to my neuro-oncologist about the results.
As we had been hoping, he was able to say: "There is still no credible evidence of tumor activity." Hoorah! In fact, he was able to clarify by saying that my brain has returned to its normal position, and that the tumor bed is only improved since the surgery. The fluids from surgery (like blood, in particular) are being absorbed exactly as expected, for instance. There will always be somewhat of a cavity where the tumor was, but that is absolutely to be expected.
To my great relief, he was also willing to release to me normal aerobic activities and I can actually return to work full time as soon as all of the necessary paperwork is filed and approved, etc. In all, life continues to return towards something approaching normal.
He did actually say that I wasn't allowed to swim across a lake by myself. Some stuff about the dangers of seizures, regardless of how low the chance of that is, and such. :-)
I dunno... I must admit that it wasn't on my TODO list, but now that he mentioned it...
:-D
'Til the next time the spirit moves me...
What wonderful words!
I didn't have an opportunity to blog yesterday, so for those waiting to hear how my MRI and followup doctor's visit went, I apologize!
Last Friday, I had my first MRI since leaving the hospital, intended to determine how things were going. In particular, the neuro-oncologists were looking for tumor activity. Any activity would have triggered a course of radiation. It was certainly a long weekend waiting to hear the results!
On Monday, we had the chance to talk to my neuro-oncologist about the results.
As we had been hoping, he was able to say: "There is still no credible evidence of tumor activity." Hoorah! In fact, he was able to clarify by saying that my brain has returned to its normal position, and that the tumor bed is only improved since the surgery. The fluids from surgery (like blood, in particular) are being absorbed exactly as expected, for instance. There will always be somewhat of a cavity where the tumor was, but that is absolutely to be expected.
To my great relief, he was also willing to release to me normal aerobic activities and I can actually return to work full time as soon as all of the necessary paperwork is filed and approved, etc. In all, life continues to return towards something approaching normal.
He did actually say that I wasn't allowed to swim across a lake by myself. Some stuff about the dangers of seizures, regardless of how low the chance of that is, and such. :-)
I dunno... I must admit that it wasn't on my TODO list, but now that he mentioned it...
:-D
'Til the next time the spirit moves me...

