Wednesday, April 26, 2006

 

Where Was I? -- or -- No, I Didn't Fall Down a Well...

Yes, it has been some time since I've written an entry. No, I haven't had a strange mishap involving glue, apples, and colored string. I certainly haven't gotten a piece of canteloupe stuck in my throat.

And no, despite speculation to the contrary, I definitely have not given up on computers and decided to go into the exciting field of throat culture collecting. Honestly. The postcards to that effect can stop. Really.

:-)

In all seriousness, I've been holding off on posting simply because there hasn't been a whole lot to say. Every day is a little bit better than the last. My hair continues to grow (those hoping for the short cut to stay are simply going to have to be unhappy, I'm sorry to say), as does my energy level. My appetite has settled into a nice groove, and it doesn't involve double portions, or entire cakes.

Thankfully, I continue to have no neurological side effects from either Elvis, or the team of experts that ripped him from the couch and booted him out the door on my behalf.

Today, I have the opportunity to see one of the nurse practitioners with the neurosurgeon. Just a check-up, so far as I am aware. I'll let you all know what they have to say, tomorrow. Yes, I recognize that that would mean two blog entries in two days. Sometimes you just have to go crazy, you know?

- - -

One of the fun things I've had an opportunity to do in the last few days is be "Mr. Mom", otherwise known as "Mr. You've Been Feeling Really Good So the Wife and Firstborn Are Heading Out on an Expedition, So See You Around Dinner Time, Have Fun With the Twins". The former, I think, is a bit less of a mouthful.

It couldn't have gone more smoothly, honestly. I got a chance to fold laundry, run a few more loads, get the twins up, feed them, clean up after them, get them set up with some toys, clean up after them, change a flurry of dirty diapers, clean myself up after them, get them dressed to go outside, clean up after them, lay them down for naps, clean up after them, etc. (I admit, there may be one or two extra "clean up after them"s in there, but you get the idea).

There weren't any near phone-the-wife-in-a-panic experiences, nothing I couldn't handle. Which was a great feeling... getting through the day without finding something I couldn't handle. I even got two extremely peaceful naps out of the deal... after all, the twins are still napping for a good three hours at a stretch!

Things felt, in a word, normal. I'm feeling that more and more each day, and that's exciting.

Will I be playing company softball this summer? Umm, no. Will I be trying to beat my personal best in the mile any time soon? Not likely.

Will I have an opportunity to work on catching the ball with my eldest? You bet... we've already begun. Will I be able to chase my twins around the living room? Of course! And they might not be able to stay ahead of me for long!

Will I be able to live a relatively normal life? So far as I can tell, I already pretty much am. What's normal, anyhow? We all have stresses and strains, hardships and joys. Does what happened to me make me any less normal? Or my life any less normal? I don't think I can allow myself to think about it that way. My life might be different (no giggling from the gallery, I know I've always been a smidge _different_), but I can live it just the same.

Life tossed me a curveball, but I'm taking that as an opportunity to stretch a bloop single into a double. And, as my father can attest, the fact that I was even able to fight off a pitch and get the single is a minor miracle. I'm pretty sure that every one of you has helped give me the strength to do that... and I appreciate the boost. If there's one thing I've learned through all of this, as I've said before, it's humbling to know just how many people care. Thank you.

'Til the next time the spirit moves me...

(Now, if only my dad would have let me pitch that one summer. Sheesh! You should see some of the "arms" he put out on the mound...)


Comments:
Thanks for updating...we here at the Art Dept look forward to your witty blogs!
 
Stretch a bloop single into a double? Your analogy might be what's getting a little stretched there, James. =)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?