Saturday, April 15, 2006

 
Not Even The Quiet Days Are All That Quiet...

Ah... how relaxing. I'm sitting with a laptop in the front yard, enjoying the warm weather. There is a slight breeze, and I can watch the tree limbs shaking their buds at me. I'm wearing shorts, all of the scabs have fallen away from my incision line, I've ditched my hats... such comfort.

Oh, and I very nearly just got hit in the head by a frisbee, speeding down vertically towards my skull at what seemed to be the speed of sound. Good things my reflexes are pretty much what they used to be.

Life, indeed, is slowly returning to normal. Granted, I'm still not comfortable bending over too far, and I still can't lift much, but those sorts of things don't inhibit me too terribly. I can watch the kids all by myself for instance (thus the frisbee), and I've already folded about five loads of laundry. If only daytime TV were any better...

In the good news department, I was cleared by my neuro-oncologist to begin working again. I've got a cap of four hours per day, but it is very comforting to get back to doing one of those things that I do fairly well. One more thing that demonstrates a return to normalcy.

I'm so pleased to really feel my strength returning bit by bit each day. My body still tells me "Nap Time!" during the day, but it feels as if it is with less frequency and with short durations. Of course, my rest periods are often highlighted with such lovely delights as, "Daddy! I need you! It's an emergency!"... only to drag myself from the bed, stagger down the hall, and find out that someone would like me to know that he had found a train in a box that he forgot that he had. Ah, the wonders of parenthood.

In all honesty, though, I still can't complain. I continue to feel great, my stress levels are down, my spirits are high, and it appears to be spring in Minnesota.

Ooh! Can someone knock on wood? The last thing that I need is for spring to summer and autumn a miss and head straight to winter. Tomorrow. :-)

'Till the next time the spirit moves me...

Comments:
James,

Well, I just found out about this from Walter (from the office formerly known as NetSilicon - no thanks to anyone at Digi). I just got caught up with your blog and I see you are handling this with the aplomb and fortitude that one normally associates with a Yalie (j/k). You should really try to get Elvis back from the pathology lab and see if you can't find some sort of mini-toilet to prop him up on. Drop me a line if you have a free tick...

Aaron (dr_ask@yahoo.com)
 
Dude.

Just 'cuz you're doin' so well these days doesn't mean you can slack on your blog.

Miss you! ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?