Thursday, April 13, 2006

 
Finally! The Rest of the Story From Last Week!

... and yes, I think that the exclamation points are deserved. Your mileage may vary. :-)

Before I jump in to more about the most recent word from the doctors (which some of you have already heard by now), I just want to reassure everyone that my recovery from the surgery continues to move along extremely well. I've been slowly transitioning back to work, in particular, which feels wonderfully good. Thankfully, my employer has been and continues to be extremely flexible... even with a four hour a day cap (doctor's orders), I can work many of those hours from home, I can spread the hours out through the day if I need to (to accommodate naps, doctor's visits, etc.), etc. It will be eleven years with this company as of June, and they have always taken care of me. I hope that they find me a loyal, capable employee in return (and I'm pretty sure that they do).

Now, back to the story.

When last we left the team of doctors collaborating about my care, we had good news on all fronts, even if the opinions on short term care fell in to two camps.

In this corner, we had the neurosurgeons, who (in my untrained opinion, at any rate) wanted to primarily allow my brain to recovery from the surgical procedure. They had, after all, cracked my skull and mucked about a bit. Very skillfully, though, we must add. A portion of the "heal and we'll see about further aftercare later" approach is absolutely tied to the excellence of the surgery (as I mentioned last blog).

And in this corner, we had the neuro-oncologists, who (with another untrained opinion) were now responsible for making sure that Elvis got what was coming to him. In this, they were very cautious... for them, it didn't pay to be too liberal with the old King. If he left any little bit behind, he could be ready for a comeback (Elvis II - The Awakening! Coming soon to a theater near you! We hope NOT!). Radiation is probably in my future, in other words, but it isn't nearly as scary a prospect to me as it once was.

That's where Friday morning comes in. I am so lucky that this community of professionals exists, and that I am tapped in to them. Every other week, they hold a tumor conference. Pretty early in the morning, as it turns out. I was lucky enough (a) to have the "on" week be the same week that my pathology report became available, and (b) to be on the slate of tumors for discussion. All camps jumped in to the ring along with their pals the pathologists and radiologists for a nice friendly scrum... and they came out (I was amazed!) with a consensus opinion regarding how to care for me in the short term.

1. We will not do radiation immediately. Let's let the brain (and body!) continue to heal and recharge. In my opinion, I think there are three components to this... (1) the more healing I have had, the more receptive my body and mind will be to another "irritating" procedure, (2) the "let's not do a procedure if we don't have evidence that it is necessary" camp, and (3) that given the success of the surgery, the likelihood that even very aggressively growing cells will grow beyond the ability to be handled by radiation is very, very small.

2. Instead of an MRI to establish a baseline at three months, we will do it at two. This pulls that next decision in a month. Just in case things do happen to begin growing, we give ourselves a better chance to detect them early.

3. We won't be guaranteed radiation after the two month MRI, either. Radiation may be in the cards, but the consensus for now is to take a wait and see approach. I may need radiation, but they want to do it only if, and then, when, necessary.

Believe me... that all sounded REALLY good! As I've always found with this medical team, their recommendations have made sense, have felt "right", and have been prudent. I continue to feel as if they know what they are doing. I can trust them. They certainly seem to have my best interests always in mind.

Wow. I'm a lucky man, and I know it.

So, the long and short of it is that I get to keep living, and living well. I know I will get the care I need, when I need it, and that's all I can ask for.

Speaking of which, I'm off to shower, then make some pancakes for the kids. :-)

'Till the next time the spirit moves me...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?