Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Introductions, Continued...
(Notes from 3/7/06)
Eventually, it was MRI time. I think, by now, it was pretty clear that the radiologist was trying to say "probably a tumor" with her apologetic reading of my CT scan, but the MRI would give us all of the detail necessary, in theory. Again, aside from Jenny's brief descriptions of being "loud" and "close", I wasn't sure what to expect.
I would soon learn that "being stuffed into a toilet paper tube" is pretty accurate.
Thankfully, I'm not particularly chlostrophobic, so the worst of the process was the vibrations (I felt as if I were laying on a bank of running clothes driers). They had me in the "tube" for a good twenty-five minutes of picture-taking, then a little break while they shot me full of "contrast dye", then another fifteen minutes or so of pictures.
In the meantime, my general practictioner wanted to make sure that I could get "answers" as quickly as possible, so arranged for me to meet with a neurosurgeon the next morning to discuss the MRI results. The lab techs. that administered the MRI could really only say that the exposures seemed to have worked... they couldn't really discuss anything more.
So, I went home still not knowing exactly what was going on. 'Till tomorrow...
(Notes from 3/7/06)
Eventually, it was MRI time. I think, by now, it was pretty clear that the radiologist was trying to say "probably a tumor" with her apologetic reading of my CT scan, but the MRI would give us all of the detail necessary, in theory. Again, aside from Jenny's brief descriptions of being "loud" and "close", I wasn't sure what to expect.
I would soon learn that "being stuffed into a toilet paper tube" is pretty accurate.
Thankfully, I'm not particularly chlostrophobic, so the worst of the process was the vibrations (I felt as if I were laying on a bank of running clothes driers). They had me in the "tube" for a good twenty-five minutes of picture-taking, then a little break while they shot me full of "contrast dye", then another fifteen minutes or so of pictures.
In the meantime, my general practictioner wanted to make sure that I could get "answers" as quickly as possible, so arranged for me to meet with a neurosurgeon the next morning to discuss the MRI results. The lab techs. that administered the MRI could really only say that the exposures seemed to have worked... they couldn't really discuss anything more.
So, I went home still not knowing exactly what was going on. 'Till tomorrow...
