Thursday, March 16, 2006

 
... I Almost Forgot my Favorite Part ...
(Notes from 3/8/06)

I almost forgot to mention my favorite part of the meeting with the first neurosurgeon. Among other things, he wanted to do some simple tests to make sure that my brain was still (generally) working. Things like the field sobriety thing (eyes closed, palms up, arms out, touch your nose with alternating fingers), for instance.

Nerve-wracking for me because I've never had to do them before, and I was (amusingly) nervous. I recall thinking: "Sheesh! Of course I can do this!... Can't I? What if I miss? I assume I'll fail if I peek... ... ummm... GOT IT! It's my nose! Hoorah!"

But then was the best, for me. The ultimate (I was worried) trick questions. He points at his wrist, "What's this?" And I think for a second, "ok, what answer, exactly, is he looking for?" before going with, "watch." Apparently the correct answer, because he moved on to the odd one... he grabs his necktie and starts flailing it at me, like a hooker in an old Western trying to entice a passing cowboy with a handkerchief. And he says, "ok, what's this?"

To my credit, I didn't blurt out the first thing that came to mind, and did in fact say, "your tie."

Apparently, that was enough to convince him that I wasn't seriously brain damaged. I'm glad he was convinced.

Comments:
James, as weird as I know this must sound, I'm enjoying reading your entries. I mean, I pretty much know the story from phone conversations, and it's not like it's exciting fun easy reading, but you have a conversational style of writing that makes me think I'm sitting at your kitchen table eating bacon and eggs, sipping coffee and hearing you talk in person. I can hear your wit and casual coolness when I read your words, and that makes it enjoyable.

And if I may make a request: we readers want to see your new 'do. Picture, please? :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?